What do I need to know before moving to Vienna?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Vienna, they said...
"Vienna is known for its stunning architecture, cultural attractions, and high quality of life making it a popular destination for expats. Before moving to Vienna, expats should research the city's transportation system, especially the public transport and bike rental systems. Additionally, expats should learn the language - while English is widely spoken, German is the official language and understanding basic phrases will go a long way in helping to integrate into the local culture. Moreover, expats should note that Vienna is a relatively expensive city, with costs of living somewhat higher than other major cities in Europe. Finally, Vienna has a rich entrepreneurial and technology start-up scene and is known for having a highly educated and international workforce," wrote a member who made the move to Vienna, Austria, Austria.
"Vienna is not such a friendly place if you come from America - very "provincial and suspicious nature abounds here. If you are staying a long time...+5 years consider to try and integrate, if less than 5 years then move to 18th or 19th districts, expats slums. In the 18th & 19th you have lots of Eng speaking temp families with which you have things in common," explained one expat living in Vienna, Austria.
- What should I pack when moving to Vienna?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Vienna?
- Will I be able to find a job in Vienna?
- What is life like in Vienna?
- What do expats in Vienna appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Vienna?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Vienna accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Vienna like?
- What are healthcare services like in Vienna?
- What are medical services in Vienna like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Vienna?
- What are emergency services like in Vienna?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Vienna?
- How are local medical facilities in Vienna?
- As a foreigner living in Vienna, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?
What do I need to know before moving to Vienna?If you live in Vienna, newcomers to Vienna would love to hear your answer to this question.