What are medical services in San Salvador like?
When we asked expats and global nomads about the quality of medical care in San Salvador, they replied...
"Medical services in San Salvador, are a mix of public and private healthcare facilities. The public healthcare system, known as the Salvadoran Social Security Institute (ISSS), provides basic medical care to citizens, but it is often overcrowded and under-resourced. Private hospitals and clinics offer higher quality care, with better facilities and more specialized services, but they can be expensive for locals and expats without insurance. Pharmacies are widely available throughout the city, and many medications can be purchased without a prescription. However, it is essential to exercise caution when buying medications, as counterfeit drugs are a known issue in the country. While there are many skilled and well-trained medical professionals in San Salvador, the overall quality of healthcare may not be on par with that of more developed countries. It is recommended that visitors and expats have comprehensive health insurance and consider medical evacuation coverage in case of serious illness or injury," remarked another expat in San Salvador, El Salvador.
- What should I pack when moving to San Salvador?
- Where should I setup a bank account in San Salvador?
- Will I be able to find a job in San Salvador?
- What is life like in San Salvador?
- What do expats in San Salvador appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in San Salvador?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in San Salvador accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in San Salvador like?
- What are healthcare services like in San Salvador?
- What are medical services in San Salvador like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in San Salvador?
- What are emergency services like in San Salvador?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in San Salvador?
- How are local medical facilities in San Salvador?
- As a foreigner living in San Salvador, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?
What are medical services in San Salvador like?If you live in San Salvador, newcomers to San Salvador would love to hear your answer to this question: