What should I pack when moving to Russia?
We asked people living in Russia to list three things they wish they had brought and three they wish they had left behind. They responded...
"When moving to Russia, it is important to pack warm clothing, as temperatures can drop to below freezing in the winter. It is also a good idea to bring a few items of formal clothing, as Russians tend to dress more formally than in other countries. Additionally, it is important to bring any necessary medications, as some may not be available in Russia. It is also a good idea to bring a few items of home comforts, such as books, photos, and other items that will help you feel at home in your new environment. Finally, it is important to bring any necessary documents, such as visas, passports, and other important paperwork," mentioned another expat when asked about moving to Russia.
"You can pretty much get everything in Moscow now (although some basic things are still ridiculously expensive!), but I would take Marmite and Pimm's. We left most things at home due to customs as we didn't want any hassle when leaving the country in terms of additional paperwork," commented one expat who made the move to Moscow, Russia.
- What do I need to know before moving to Russia?
- How do I find a place to live in Russia?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Russia?
- What is the average cost of housing in Russia?
- Should I buy or rent a home in Russia?
- What should I pack when moving to Russia?
- What cultural faux pas should I try to avoid making in Russia?
- Why do people move to Russia?
- What are healthcare services like in Russia?
- What are medical services in Russia like?
- What are typical rents in Russia?
- What appliances are typically included in a rental?
What should I pack when moving to Russia?If you live in Russia, newcomers to Russia would love to hear your answer to this question.
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.