Expat Exchange recently conducted a survey to explore the "Best Places to Live Abroad in 2020."
When expats in Mexico rated their "level of satisfaction with the expatriate experience," responses indicated that those who live in the North-American nation are significantly more satisfied with their experience than those in other nations throughout the world.
A full 20% of expats in Mexico reported that they were "extremely satisfied" as expats, while 67% stated that they were "very satisfied." Combined, that 87% who are either extremely or very satisfied rates 13% higher than the international average of 74%. An additional 6% reported that they were "moderately satisfied," while 6% of respondents reported that they were "slightly satisfied." None described their level of satisfaction as being "not at all satisfied" with their expat experiences in Mexico.
The warm weather, proximity to the United States and lower cost of living makes Mexico a very popular option for expats, particularly U.S. citizens. Living on places such as the Pacific Coast, of the Gulf of California, Lake Chapala and elsewhere make Mexico a very inviting location to explore and, after careful research, call home.
It's obviously important to note that there are some aspect of life there that do present challenges, such as crime and political unrest, but expats who prepare, stay informed and are careful report being extremely happy there.
Here are some thoughts from the expats in Mexico that responded to the Expat Exchange survey:
An Expat in Puerto Penasco Shared (Best Places 2020):
"This is a great place to live. Living on the sea and only 4 hours from an American large city (Phoenix) offers everything I need. People are friendly crime is low. It is easy to make friends both expats and local residents. The language is a mix of English and Spanish, but I would certainly like to improve my Spanish."
Another Expat Shared (Best Places 2020)
"Paradise everyday gets better overall cost of living here in Playa del Carmen is 1/3 of cost of living on left coast of California."
Another Expat in Lake Chapala, Jalisco, Mexico (Best Places 2020):
I love the weather, [in] February the temperature is 80F. I love all the mountains and the lake. There are many volunteer opportunities to keep me as busy as I want to be. You can get almost all fruits and vegetables fresh... Some things are imported from U.S. but cost more. I wish I could speak more Spanish (my fault), but the Mexicans are appreciative of your efforts. Where we live the Mexicans are such happy people and helpful. Our car had a flat and 3 boys stopped to help. Every Mexican baby is beautiful. In the next town there is more poverty, sleep on dirt floors. Many Expats help out there. Except for Guadalajara, that is the real Mexico. This place would be that way except for the Expats, using their stores, restaurants, construction, maids, gardeners etc... The airport is less than an hour away. Two hospitals [were] recently built here, which makes three.
An Expat in Guadalajara, Mexico Shared (COVID SURVEY):
We are in lock down and have been for over 2 months here in Guadalajara, Mexico. All stores, clubs, most restaurants are closed. If we go out for medicine or groceries we have to wear a mask and they check to see if we have a fever. Helicopters fly over the city telling residents not to be afraid and to stay in their houses. I personally don’t know anyone who is sick. So to be frank, I would rather be here than in the United States.
Most medicines can be purchased without a doctor's prescription. So anything I need is available. Except for the lock down everything has been like “Another Day In Paradise”. The only issue is if I go back to the US, I will not be able to return to Mexico until the Covid Pandemic is over.
An Expat in Monterrey, Mexico Shared More Recently (COVID Report):
Restaurants and bars have reopened. Nobody seems to know what the real risk is. The clinic I attend is taking proper precautions. There are a lot less people than usual. I will go and get my flu shot shortly. Glad I don't live in the U.K. any more.
Read our articles 10 Tips for Living in Mexico, 8 Things to Know Before You Move to Mexico, and Healthcare in Mexico
Take the time to introduce yourself on our Mexico Expat Forum!