Moving to Mexico
Last updated on Oct 18, 2023
Summary: Many expats and digital nomads move to Mexico for its low cost of living, warm climate, and vibrant culture. Mexico also offers a wide range of activities and attractions, making it an attractive destination for those looking to explore a new country. People looking for a place to live in Mexico can search online for rental properties, or contact a real estate agent for assistance. The most popular cities for expats and digital nomads in Mexico are Mexico City, Cancun, Playa del Carmen, and Tulum. These cities offer a variety of amenities, activities, and attractions, making them ideal for those looking to experience the best of Mexico.
What do I need to know before moving to Mexico?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Mexico, they said:
"In my opinion, the best zone to live in (in regards to safety) is San Javier. I have also lived in Real de la Plata, and found it was a pretty quiet neighborhood as well," remarked one expat who made the move to Pachuca.
"Bring as little as you need to, because moving is expensive. And you can get most things here. All the appliances work the same, etc. I would suggest renting for a few months while you look for a home, even though its a hassle to move. But that way you get to know the neighborhoods a little and will make a wiser choice. We love where we live but we just got lucky," explained one expat living in Merida, Mexico.
How do I find a place to live in Mexico?
About the Author
Joshua Wood, LPC joined Expat Exchange in 2000 and serves as one of its Co-Presidents. He is also one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. Prior to Expat Exchange, Joshua worked for NBC Cable (MSNBC and CNBC Primetime). Joshua has a BA from Syracuse and a Master's in Clinical and Counseling Psychology from Fairleigh Dickinson University. Mr. Wood is also a licensed counselor and psychotherapist.
- What should I pack when moving to Mexico?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Mexico?
- Will I be able to find a job in Mexico?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do expats in Mexico appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Mexico?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Mexico accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Mexico like?
- How are healthcare services in Mexico?
- What are medical services in Mexico like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Mexico?
- What are emergency services like in Mexico?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Mexico?
- How are local medical facilities in Mexico?
- As a foreigner living in Mexico, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?