Cost of Living in Kenya
Last updated on Mar 12, 2023
Summary: The cost of living in Kenya is generally considered to be quite affordable. A nice 1 bedroom apartment in Kenya can cost anywhere from $400 to $800 per month, while a nice 2 bedroom apartment can cost from $600 to $1,200 per month. The cost of dinner at a moderately priced restaurant in Kenya is usually around $10 to $15 per person.
Is the cost of living in Kenya high?
We asked people how much they someone comfortably live on in Kenya, they wrote:
"The cost of living in Kenya varies depending on the city and lifestyle. Generally, basic necessities such as food, transportation, and housing are relatively inexpensive. However, luxury items such as electronics, imported goods, and entertainment can be more expensive. Additionally, the cost of living in Kenya is affected by the exchange rate of the Kenyan shilling to other currencies," said one person in Kenya.
Will I save money living in Kenya?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What should I pack when moving to Kenya?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Kenya?
- Will I be able to find a job in Kenya?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do expats in Kenya appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Kenya?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Kenya accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Kenya like?
- How are healthcare services Kenya?
- What are medical services in Kenya like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Kenya?
- What are emergency services like in Kenya?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Kenya?
- How are local medical facilities in Kenya?
- As a foreigner living in Kenya, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?