15 Expats Talk about Health Insurance and Healthcare in Philippines
Last updated on Jun 24, 2023
Summary: The quality of medical care in the Philippines is generally considered to be lower than that of the United States. Emergency services are available, but they may not be as reliable or as well-equipped as those in the US. To call for an ambulance, you can dial 911 or contact the local emergency services.
How are healthcare services Philippines?
When we asked expats and global nomads about the quality of medical care in Philippines, they replied:
"If you can afford it, get health insurance, but the rates are higher the older you are, and if your over 60 they go through the roof, that's if they will insure you. Be aware that many doctors here, who will charge you in excess of the regular charge as a "skin tax" as we are perceived to be able to afford it. Also hospitals will add on extra's not necessary, ie, they always insist on a drip, but it only contains saline solution. Extras like artificial limbs are difficult to have maintained here, its only in Manila or Cebu where there are facilities to have these repaired or replaced, but the quality and expertise is poorer, usually using 2nd hand appliances from abroad. In Manila there is a private house where European standards are maintained, but it is the most expensive you will encounter," remarked one expat living in Philippines.
What are medical services in Philippines like?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- Philippines Guide
- Healthcare & Health Insurance in Philippines
- Members Talk about Healthcare & Health Insurance in Philippines
- Best Places to Live in Philippines
- Real Estate in Philippines
- Guide to Real Estate in Philippines
- Pros & Cons of Living in Philippines
- Cost of Living in Philippines
- 7 Things to Know Before You Move to the Philippines
- 8 Safest Places to Live in the Philippines
- 9 Healthcare & Health Insurance Tips for Expats in the Philippines
- 6 Best Places to Live in The Philippines
- 2023 Guide to Living in Philippines
- Pros and Cons of Living in Philippines 2023
- 2023 Guide to Moving to Philippines