Moving to Tallinn, Estonia
Last updated on Apr 22, 2023
Summary: Expatriates are drawn to Tallinn, Estonia for its vibrant culture, stunning architecture, and low cost of living. The city is known for its vibrant nightlife, excellent public transportation, and friendly locals. Additionally, Tallinn is a great place to learn a new language, as it is home to a large number of international students. Before moving to Tallinn, it is important to know that the city is quite small and can be quite cold in the winter months. Additionally, it is important to be aware of the language barrier, as English is not widely spoken in Estonia. Finally, it is important to research the local laws and regulations before moving to Tallinn, as they may differ from those in other countries.
What do I need to know before moving to Tallinn?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Tallinn, they said:
"Tallinn is the capital of Estonia and is a great place to live for expats. It is a modern city with a rich cultural heritage, and is known for its vibrant nightlife and excellent public transportation. Expats should be aware that the official language of Estonia is Estonian, although English is widely spoken. It is also important to note that the cost of living in Tallinn is relatively low compared to other European cities. Additionally, expats should be aware that the weather in Tallinn can be quite cold in the winter months, so it is important to be prepared for the cold. Finally, expats should be aware that the healthcare system in Estonia is of a high standard, and that there are plenty of opportunities for expats to get involved in the local community," remarked one expat who made the move to Tallinn.
How do I find a place to live in Tallinn?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What do I need to know before moving to Tallinn?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Tallinn?
- What is the average cost of housing in Tallinn?
- How do I meet people in Tallinn?
- What do I need to know before retiring in Tallinn?
- What should I pack when moving to Tallinn?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Tallinn?
- Will I be able to find a job in Tallinn?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do people like (and dislike) about Tallinn?
- What type of social life can someone expect in Tallinn?
- What is the social scene like in Tallinn?
- What advice to expats in Tallinn have about housing?
- What are medical services in Tallinn like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Tallinn?
- Is the cost of living in Tallinn high?
- What are the visa & residency requirements in Tallinn?
- Why do people move to Tallinn?