Moving to Debrecen, Hungary
Last updated on Sep 05, 2023
Summary: Moving to Debrecen, Hungary? Expats talk about what you need to know before moving to Debrecen.
What do I need to know before moving to Debrecen?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Debrecen, they said:
"Debrecen is the second largest city in Hungary, known for its rich history, vibrant culture, and beautiful architecture. Hungarian is the official language in Debrecen, and while some locals speak English, it would be beneficial to learn some basic Hungarian phrases before moving. The cost of living in Debrecen is relatively low compared to other European cities, with affordable housing, food, and transportation. The city has a continental climate, with hot summers and cold, snowy winters, so it's important to pack a variety of clothing suitable for all seasons. Debrecen is home to the University of Debrecen, one of the most prestigious universities in Hungary, attracting a large student population from around the world. The city has a well-developed public transportation system, including trams, buses, and trolleybuses, making it easy to get around. Hungarian cuisine is a big part of the culture in Debrecen, with local specialties including goulash, stuffed peppers, and chimney cake. Healthcare in Debrecen is of a high standard, with several hospitals and clinics throughout the city, and it's recommended to have health insurance. Debrecen is a safe city with a low crime rate, but like any city, it's important to be aware of your surroundings and take basic safety precautions. The city has a rich cultural scene, with numerous museums, galleries, theaters, and festivals throughout the year. Debrecen is also surrounded by natural beauty, with the Great Forest, a large park and nature reserve, being a popular spot for outdoor activities. It's important to understand the local customs and etiquette in Debrecen, such as tipping in restaurants and respecting the quiet hours in residential areas. Finally, it's worth noting that Hungary is part of the European Union, so EU citizens can move to Debrecen without a visa, while non-EU citizens will need to apply for a residence permit," said one expat in Debrecen.
How do I find a place to live in Debrecen?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What do I need to know before moving to Debrecen?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Debrecen?
- What is the average cost of housing in Debrecen?
- How do I meet people in Debrecen?
- What do I need to know before retiring in Debrecen?
- What should I pack when moving to Debrecen?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Debrecen?
- Will I be able to find a job in Debrecen?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do people like (and dislike) about Debrecen?
- What type of social life can someone expect in Debrecen?
- What is the social scene like in Debrecen?
- What advice to expats in Debrecen have about housing?
- What are medical services in Debrecen like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Debrecen?
- Is the cost of living in Debrecen high?
- What are the visa & residency requirements in Debrecen?
- Why do people move to Debrecen?