Last updated on Jun 27, 2023
Summary: Expats, digital nomads and retirees discuss what it is like to live in Harrogate, UK: Cost of living, Finding a home, Meeting People and more.
What do I need to know about living in Harrogate?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Harrogate, they said:
"Before retiring in Harrogate, expats should know that it is a small, historic town known for its high quality of life and beautiful landscapes. It is important to understand that the cost of living can be higher than in other parts of the UK, due to its popularity and the high demand for property. Expats should also be aware that the healthcare system in the UK is publicly funded, and they may be eligible for free healthcare through the National Health Service (NHS), depending on their residency status. English is the primary language spoken in Harrogate, so it would be beneficial to have a good command of the language. However, the town is quite multicultural, and people from different backgrounds are generally welcomed. The weather in Harrogate is typically British, with mild summers and cool, wet winters. It's advisable to prepare for this type of climate. Public transportation in Harrogate is reliable, with a good network of buses and trains connecting it to other parts of the UK. However, owning a car can be beneficial for exploring the surrounding countryside. Harrogate is known for its safety and low crime rate, but like anywhere, it's important to take standard precautions to protect oneself and one's property. Finally, it's worth noting that Harrogate has a slower pace of life compared to larger cities, which many retirees may find appealing. It has a strong sense of community, with plenty of social activities and clubs for retirees to join," explained one expat living in Harrogate, England.
What do I need to know before moving to Harrogate?
About the Author
Joshua Wood, LPC joined Expat Exchange in 2000 and serves as one of its Co-Presidents. He is also one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. Prior to Expat Exchange, Joshua worked for NBC Cable (MSNBC and CNBC Primetime). Joshua has a BA from Syracuse and a Master's in Clinical and Counseling Psychology from Fairleigh Dickinson University. Mr. Wood is also a licensed counselor and psychotherapist.
- What do I need to know before moving to Harrogate?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Harrogate?
- What is the average cost of housing in Harrogate?
- How do I meet people in Harrogate?
- What do I need to know before retiring in Harrogate?
- What should I pack when moving to Harrogate?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Harrogate?
- Will I be able to find a job in Harrogate?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do people like (and dislike) about Harrogate?
- What type of social life can someone expect in Harrogate?
- What is the social scene like in Harrogate?
- What advice to expats in Harrogate have about housing?
- What are medical services in Harrogate like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Harrogate?
- Is the cost of living in Harrogate high?
- What are the visa & residency requirements in Harrogate?
- Why do people move to Harrogate?