Last updated on May 06, 2023
Summary: The approximate population of Marbella, Spain is 140,000. People describe Marbella as a glamorous and luxurious resort town on the Costa del Sol. Expats love the year-round sunshine, the beautiful beaches, the vibrant nightlife, and the relaxed Mediterranean lifestyle. The weather in Marbella is typically mild and sunny, with average temperatures ranging from the mid-50s to the mid-70s Fahrenheit (12-24 Celsius). The average cost of living in Marbella for an expat is around $2,000 to $3,000 per month. The cost of a one bedroom apartment is around $800 to $1,200 per month, and a two bedroom apartment is around $1,200 to $1,800 per month.
What do I need to know about living in Marbella?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Marbella, they said:
"Before retiring in Marbella, expats should be aware of the cost of living, which is higher than in other parts of Spain. They should also research the local healthcare system and the availability of medical services. Additionally, expats should familiarize themselves with the local culture and customs, as well as the language, to ensure a smooth transition. It is also important to research the local tax laws and regulations to ensure compliance. Finally, expats should consider the climate and the type of activities available in the area to ensure that they will be able to enjoy their retirement," said one expat who made the move to Marbella.
"Don't expect to be one of the Ferrari driving glitterati overnight, but work hard and Marbella can be a great place to live. There is an old saying about Marbella - The man who arrives with money will depart with experience, and the man who arrives with experience will stay with Money," explained one expat living in Marbella, Spain.
What do I need to know before moving to Marbella?
About the Author
Joshua Wood, LPC joined Expat Exchange in 2000 and serves as one of its Co-Presidents. He is also one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. Prior to Expat Exchange, Joshua worked for NBC Cable (MSNBC and CNBC Primetime). Joshua has a BA from Syracuse and a Master's in Clinical and Counseling Psychology from Fairleigh Dickinson University. Mr. Wood is also a licensed counselor and psychotherapist.
- What do I need to know before moving to Marbella?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Marbella?
- What is the average cost of housing in Marbella?
- How do I meet people in Marbella?
- What do I need to know before retiring in Marbella?
- What should I pack when moving to Marbella?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Marbella?
- Will I be able to find a job in Marbella?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do people like (and dislike) about Marbella?
- What type of social life can someone expect in Marbella?
- What is the social scene like in Marbella?
- What advice to expats in Marbella have about housing?
- What are medical services in Marbella like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Marbella?
- Is the cost of living in Marbella high?
- What are the visa & residency requirements in Marbella?
- Why do people move to Marbella?