Pros and Cons of Living in Spain
Last updated on Mar 11, 2023
Summary: The pros of living in Spain include its beautiful climate, its rich culture and history, its vibrant cities, its delicious cuisine, and its friendly people. On the other hand, the cons of living in Spain include its high cost of living, its language barrier, and its lack of job opportunities for non-EU citizens.
What are the pros and cons of living in Spain?
Expats, digital nomads and retirees living in Spain responded:
"I and my family love shopping in Mecardona which is next to our house, taking a walk together through the park. Then we take a train to go Barcelona, where we can visit El Corte Ingles to buy some new clothes, after that go to buffet restaurants to enjoy delicious food. And there we also come to visit the Aquarium. We mostly like reading so we able to get some interesting books in the central Terrassa library and others," remarked one expat in Barcelona.
"We love Madrid, it has been more open than a lot cities during COVID times. Food is great, museums are open and public transportation is wonderful. I love I can walk my dog and see people walking and eating. I walk a lot more than in the US, I don t have a car and love it. I want to find a place in the US where where I can walk to many restaurants and stores. I feel safe, I see a lot of police around. The winter was cold, I would prefer a warmer climate," explained one expat living in Madrid.
What do expats in Spain appreciate most about the local culture?
About the Author
Joshua Wood, LPC joined Expat Exchange in 2000 and serves as one of its Co-Presidents. He is also one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. Prior to Expat Exchange, Joshua worked for NBC Cable (MSNBC and CNBC Primetime). Joshua has a BA from Syracuse and a Master's in Clinical and Counseling Psychology from Fairleigh Dickinson University. Mr. Wood is also a licensed counselor and psychotherapist.
- What do I need to know before moving to Spain?
- How do I find a place to live in Spain?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Spain?
- What is the average cost of housing in Spain?
- Should I buy or rent a home in Spain?
- What should I pack when moving to Spain?
- What cultural faux pas should I try to avoid making in Spain?
- Why do people move to Spain?
- How are healthcare services Spain?
- What are medical services in Spain like?
- What are typical rents in Spain?
- What appliances are typically included in a rental?