Last updated on Jul 08, 2023
Summary: The approximate population of Lugano, Switzerland is around 63,000 people. People describe Lugano as a vibrant city with a Mediterranean feel, surrounded by stunning mountain views. Expats love the city's relaxed atmosphere, its proximity to the Italian border, and its excellent public transportation system. The weather in Lugano is generally mild, with temperatures ranging from the mid-30s to the mid-70s Fahrenheit (1-24 Celsius). The average cost of living in Lugano for an expat is around $2,500 per month. The cost of a one bedroom apartment is around $1,000 per month, and a two bedroom apartment is around $1,500 per month.
What do I need to know about living in Lugano?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Lugano, they said:
"Before retiring in Lugano, expats should be aware that the cost of living is high, and that the city is home to a large number of wealthy residents. Expats should also be aware that the city is located in the Italian-speaking part of Switzerland, and that the official language is Italian. Additionally, expats should be aware that Lugano is a popular tourist destination, and that the city is known for its mild climate and stunning views of the Alps. Finally, expats should be aware that the city is home to a vibrant cultural scene, with a variety of museums, galleries, and theaters," said one expat in Lugano.
What do I need to know before moving to Lugano?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What do I need to know before moving to Lugano?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Lugano?
- What is the average cost of housing in Lugano?
- How do I meet people in Lugano?
- What do I need to know before retiring in Lugano?
- What should I pack when moving to Lugano?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Lugano?
- Will I be able to find a job in Lugano?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do people like (and dislike) about Lugano?
- What type of social life can someone expect in Lugano?
- What is the social scene like in Lugano?
- What advice to expats in Lugano have about housing?
- What are medical services in Lugano like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Lugano?
- Is the cost of living in Lugano high?
- What are the visa & residency requirements in Lugano?
- Why do people move to Lugano?