Belize City, Belize
Last updated on Jul 01, 2023
Summary: People describe Belize City, Belize as a vibrant, diverse, and culturally rich city. Expats love the laid-back atmosphere, the friendly locals, and the easy access to the Caribbean Sea. The weather in Belize City is typically warm and humid, with temperatures ranging from the mid-70s to the mid-80s Fahrenheit. The average cost of living for an expat is around $1,500 to $2,000 USD per month. The cost of a one bedroom apartment is around $500 to $700 USD per month, and a two bedroom apartment is around $700 to $1,000 USD per month. The approximate population of Belize City is around 70,000 people.
What do I need to know about living in Belize City?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Belize City, they said:
"Before retiring in Belize City, expats should be aware that the cost of living is relatively high compared to other parts of the country. Additionally, the city is prone to hurricanes and other natural disasters, so it is important to have a plan in place in case of an emergency. Expats should also be aware that the city is quite diverse, with a mix of cultures and languages, so it is important to be respectful of the local customs and traditions. Finally, expats should research the local healthcare system and ensure that they have access to quality medical care," explained one expat living in Belize City, Belize.
"Always travel to Belize first before you move here. Never try to make Belize just like it was for you back home... just accept Belize for what it is and enjoy it. It's an emerging third world country.... not the USA, so keep your expectations in check and go with the flow," said one expat in Belize City.
What do I need to know before moving to Belize City?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What should I pack when moving to Belize City?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Belize City?
- Will I be able to find a job in Belize City?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do expats in Belize City appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Belize City?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Belize City accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Belize City like?
- How are healthcare services in Belize City?
- What are medical services in Belize City like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Belize City?
- What are emergency services like in Belize City?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Belize City?
- How are local medical facilities in Belize City?
- As a foreigner living in Belize City, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?