Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Last updated on May 04, 2023
Summary: The approximate population of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil is 6.7 million people. People often describe Rio de Janeiro as a vibrant, colorful, and lively city. Expats love the city's stunning beaches, lively nightlife, and its unique culture. The weather in Rio de Janeiro is generally warm and humid. The average temperature in the summer months (December to February) is around 80°F (27°C), while the average temperature in the winter months (June to August) is around 70°F (21°C). The average cost of living in Rio de Janeiro for an expat is around $1,500 to $2,500 per month. The cost of a one bedroom apartment is around $800 to $1,200 per month, while the cost of a two bedroom apartment is around $1,200 to $2,000 per month.
What do I need to know about living in Rio de Janeiro?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Rio de Janeiro, they said:
"Before retiring in Rio de Janeiro, expats should research the cost of living and the availability of healthcare services. It is also important to familiarize oneself with the local laws and regulations, as well as the language and culture. Additionally, expats should consider the safety of the area and the availability of transportation. Finally, it is important to research the visa requirements for long-term stays in Brazil," said one expat who made the move to Rio de Janeiro.
"Great place to live; perfect climate; friendly people. Come with a job in view and leave your valuables in your home country. You are going to have the time of your life," explained one expat living in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
What do I need to know before moving to Rio de Janeiro?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What do I need to know before moving to Rio de Janeiro?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Rio de Janeiro?
- What is the average cost of housing in Rio de Janeiro?
- How do I meet people in Rio de Janeiro?
- What do I need to know before retiring in Rio de Janeiro?
- What should I pack when moving to Rio de Janeiro?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Rio de Janeiro?
- Will I be able to find a job in Rio de Janeiro?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do people like (and dislike) about Rio de Janeiro?
- What type of social life can someone expect in Rio de Janeiro?
- What is the social scene like in Rio de Janeiro?
- What advice to expats in Rio de Janeiro have about housing?
- What are medical services in Rio de Janeiro like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Rio de Janeiro?
- Is the cost of living in Rio de Janeiro high?
- What are the visa & residency requirements in Rio de Janeiro?
- Why do people move to Rio de Janeiro?