Last updated on Apr 21, 2023
Summary: People often describe Ottawa, Canada as a vibrant, diverse, and friendly city. Expats love the city's cultural attractions, outdoor activities, and its proximity to the US border. The weather in Ottawa is generally mild, with temperatures ranging from an average low of -7°F in January to an average high of 79°F in July. The average cost of living for an expat is estimated to be around $2,500 USD per month. The cost of a one bedroom apartment in Ottawa is around $1,400 USD per month, while a two bedroom apartment is around $1,800 USD per month. The approximate population of Ottawa is 1,323,783 people.
What do I need to know about living in Ottawa?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Ottawa, they said:
"Before retiring in Ottawa, expats should familiarize themselves with the cost of living in the city. They should also research the availability of healthcare services, as well as the local climate and weather patterns. Additionally, expats should look into the local culture and customs, as well as the job market and housing options. It is also important to research the local transportation system and the availability of recreational activities. Finally, expats should make sure to obtain the necessary visas and permits to live and work in Canada," wrote one member in Ottawa.
What do I need to know before moving to Ottawa?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What do I need to know before moving to Ottawa?
- How do I find a place to live in Ottawa?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Ottawa?
- What is the average cost of housing in Ottawa?
- Should I buy or rent a home in Ottawa?
- What should I pack when moving to Ottawa?
- What cultural faux pas should I try to avoid making in Ottawa?
- What advice do you have for expats having a baby in Ottawa?
- What are healthcare services like in Ottawa?
- Is the cost of living in Ottawa high?
- Will I save money living in Ottawa?
- Why do people move to Ottawa?
- How are healthcare services in Ottawa?
- What are medical services in Ottawa like?