San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Last updated on Apr 22, 2023
Summary: The approximate population of San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua is around 20,000 people. People describe San Juan del Sur as a laid-back beach town with a vibrant nightlife and plenty of outdoor activities. Expats love the relaxed atmosphere, the friendly locals, and the beautiful beaches. The weather in San Juan del Sur is typically warm and sunny year-round, with temperatures ranging from the mid-70s to the mid-90s Fahrenheit. The average cost of living for an expat is around $1,500 to $2,000 per month. The cost of a one bedroom apartment is typically around $400 to $600 per month, while a two bedroom apartment can cost anywhere from $500 to $800 per month.
What do I need to know about living in San Juan del Sur?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to San Juan del Sur, they said:
"Before retiring in San Juan del Sur, expats should be aware that the cost of living is relatively low, but the infrastructure is not as developed as in other countries. It is important to research the local healthcare system and ensure that adequate medical care is available. Additionally, expats should be aware that the local language is Spanish, so it is helpful to learn some basic Spanish before moving to the area. It is also important to research the local laws and regulations to ensure that all necessary paperwork is in order. Finally, expats should be aware that the climate in San Juan del Sur is tropical, so it is important to be prepared for hot and humid weather," wrote a member in San Juan del Sur.
What do I need to know before moving to San Juan del Sur?
About the Author
Joshua Wood, LPC joined Expat Exchange in 2000 and serves as one of its Co-Presidents. He is also one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. Prior to Expat Exchange, Joshua worked for NBC Cable (MSNBC and CNBC Primetime). Joshua has a BA from Syracuse and a Master's in Clinical and Counseling Psychology from Fairleigh Dickinson University. Mr. Wood is also a licensed counselor and psychotherapist.
- What should I pack when moving to San Juan del Sur?
- Where should I setup a bank account in San Juan del Sur?
- Will I be able to find a job in San Juan del Sur?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do expats in San Juan del Sur appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in San Juan del Sur?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in San Juan del Sur accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in San Juan del Sur like?
- How are healthcare services in San Juan del Sur?
- What are medical services in San Juan del Sur like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in San Juan del Sur?
- What are emergency services like in San Juan del Sur?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in San Juan del Sur?
- How are local medical facilities in San Juan del Sur?
- As a foreigner living in San Juan del Sur, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?