Puerto Rico, Ecuador
Last updated on Jul 06, 2023
Summary: Expats, digital nomads and retirees discuss what it is like to live in Puerto Rico, Ecuador: Cost of living, Finding a home, Meeting People and more.
What do I need to know about living in Puerto Rico?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Puerto Rico, they said:
"Before retiring in Puerto Rico, expats should know that while it is a U.S. territory, it has its own unique culture and lifestyle. The official languages are Spanish and English, but Spanish is more commonly spoken. The cost of living can be lower than in many U.S. states, but it varies depending on the area. Healthcare is generally good, but it may be different from what expats are used to in the U.S. Expats should also be aware of the island's hurricane season, which can affect living conditions. Before retiring in Ecuador, expats should know that it is known for its affordable cost of living and high-quality healthcare. However, they should also be aware that the primary language is Spanish, and while some locals speak English, it is not as widely spoken. The culture is very different from the U.S., and it may take some time to adjust. Ecuador uses the U.S. dollar as its currency, which can make financial transitions easier for American retirees. The country also has a diverse climate, with coastal, mountain, and rainforest regions, so potential retirees should consider their preferred climate when choosing where to live," commented one expat who made the move to Puerto Rico.
What do I need to know before moving to Puerto Rico?
About the Author
Joshua Wood, LPC joined Expat Exchange in 2000 and serves as one of its Co-Presidents. He is also one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. Prior to Expat Exchange, Joshua worked for NBC Cable (MSNBC and CNBC Primetime). Joshua has a BA from Syracuse and a Master's in Clinical and Counseling Psychology from Fairleigh Dickinson University. Mr. Wood is also a licensed counselor and psychotherapist.
- What do I need to know before moving to Puerto Rico?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Puerto Rico?
- What is the average cost of housing in Puerto Rico?
- How do I meet people in Puerto Rico?
- What do I need to know before retiring in Puerto Rico?
- What should I pack when moving to Puerto Rico?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Puerto Rico?
- Will I be able to find a job in Puerto Rico?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do people like (and dislike) about Puerto Rico?
- What type of social life can someone expect in Puerto Rico?
- What is the social scene like in Puerto Rico?
- What advice to expats in Puerto Rico have about housing?
- What are medical services in Puerto Rico like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Puerto Rico?
- Is the cost of living in Puerto Rico high?
- What are the visa & residency requirements in Puerto Rico?
- Why do people move to Puerto Rico?