Abidjan, Ivory Coast
Last updated on Apr 22, 2023
Summary: People describe Abidjan, Ivory Coast as a vibrant and bustling city with a unique culture and a great nightlife. Expats love the city's diverse culture, its friendly people, and its beautiful beaches. The weather in Abidjan is generally warm and humid, with temperatures ranging from the mid-70s to the mid-90s Fahrenheit. The average cost of living for an expat is around $1,500 to $2,000 USD per month. The cost of a one bedroom apartment is around $500 to $700 USD per month, while a two bedroom apartment can cost around $700 to $1,000 USD per month. The approximate population of Abidjan is around 4.7 million people.
What do I need to know about living in Abidjan?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Abidjan, they said:
"Before retiring in Abidjan, expats should research the cost of living and the availability of healthcare services. It is also important to familiarize oneself with the local culture and language, as well as the laws and regulations of the country. Additionally, expats should consider the safety and security of the area, as well as the availability of transportation and other amenities. Finally, expats should ensure that they have the necessary visas and permits to live and work in the country," commented one expat who made the move to Abidjan.
What do I need to know before moving to Abidjan?
About the Author
Joshua Wood, LPC joined Expat Exchange in 2000 and serves as one of its Co-Presidents. He is also one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. Prior to Expat Exchange, Joshua worked for NBC Cable (MSNBC and CNBC Primetime). Joshua has a BA from Syracuse and a Master's in Clinical and Counseling Psychology from Fairleigh Dickinson University. Mr. Wood is also a licensed counselor and psychotherapist.
- What should I pack when moving to Abidjan?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Abidjan?
- Will I be able to find a job in Abidjan?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do expats in Abidjan appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Abidjan?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Abidjan accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Abidjan like?
- How are healthcare services Abidjan?
- What are medical services in Abidjan like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Abidjan?
- What are emergency services like in Abidjan?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Abidjan?
- How are local medical facilities in Abidjan?
- As a foreigner living in Abidjan, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?