Maastricht, The Netherlands
Last updated on Jul 10, 2023
Summary: Expats, digital nomads and retirees discuss what it is like to live in Maastricht, Netherlands: Cost of living, Finding a home, Meeting People and more.
What do I need to know before moving to Maastricht?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Maastricht, they said:
"Maastricht is a city in the southern part of the Netherlands, known for its rich history, beautiful architecture, and vibrant cultural scene. The official language is Dutch, but English is widely spoken, especially in the city center and at the university. The cost of living in Maastricht is relatively high, with housing being the largest expense for most expats. The city has a well-developed public transportation system, including buses and trains, and cycling is a popular mode of transport. Maastricht is also known for its high quality of life, with excellent healthcare and education systems. The city has a temperate maritime climate, with mild summers and cool winters. It's important to note that the Netherlands has a high tax rate, but it also offers a wide range of social services. Maastricht is a very safe city, but like any other place, it's always important to be aware of your surroundings and take basic safety precautions. The city is also known for its friendly and welcoming locals, who are generally open to meeting new people and learning about different cultures. The city has a vibrant food scene, with a wide range of restaurants offering both local and international cuisine. Maastricht is also known for its festivals and events, which take place throughout the year and offer a great way to experience the local culture. Finally, it's important to note that the Netherlands has strict rules and regulations regarding immigration and residency, so it's essential to ensure that you have the correct visas and permits before moving to Maastricht," remarked one expat who made the move to Maastricht.
How do I find a place to live in Maastricht?
About the Author
Joshua Wood, LPC joined Expat Exchange in 2000 and serves as one of its Co-Presidents. He is also one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. Prior to Expat Exchange, Joshua worked for NBC Cable (MSNBC and CNBC Primetime). Joshua has a BA from Syracuse and a Master's in Clinical and Counseling Psychology from Fairleigh Dickinson University. Mr. Wood is also a licensed counselor and psychotherapist.
- What do I need to know before moving to Maastricht?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Maastricht?
- What is the average cost of housing in Maastricht?
- How do I meet people in Maastricht?
- What do I need to know before retiring in Maastricht?
- What should I pack when moving to Maastricht?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Maastricht?
- Will I be able to find a job in Maastricht?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do people like (and dislike) about Maastricht?
- What type of social life can someone expect in Maastricht?
- What is the social scene like in Maastricht?
- What advice to expats in Maastricht have about housing?
- What are medical services in Maastricht like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Maastricht?
- Is the cost of living in Maastricht high?
- What are the visa & residency requirements in Maastricht?
- Why do people move to Maastricht?