Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia
Last updated on Apr 20, 2023
Summary: The approximate population of Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia is 690,000. People describe Al Khobar as a vibrant city with a diverse culture and a great selection of restaurants, shopping, and entertainment. Expats love the city's modern infrastructure, its proximity to the beach, and its low cost of living. The weather in Al Khobar is generally hot and dry, with temperatures ranging from the mid-50s to the mid-90s Fahrenheit (10-35 Celsius). The average cost of living for an expat is relatively low. A one bedroom apartment typically costs around $400-$500 USD per month, while a two bedroom apartment typically costs around $600-$700 USD per month.
What do I need to know about living in Al Khobar?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Al Khobar, they said:
"Expats considering retiring in Al Khobar should be aware that the country is a Muslim-majority nation and that Islamic law is strictly enforced. Expats should also be aware that the country has a very conservative culture and that women are expected to dress modestly and adhere to certain social norms. Additionally, expats should be aware that the cost of living in Al Khobar is relatively high, and that the city is not particularly well-known for its nightlife or entertainment options. Finally, expats should be aware that the city is located in a desert climate, and that temperatures can reach extreme highs during the summer months," commented one expat who made the move to Al Khobar.
What do I need to know before moving to Al Khobar?
About the Author
Joshua Wood, LPC joined Expat Exchange in 2000 and serves as one of its Co-Presidents. He is also one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. Prior to Expat Exchange, Joshua worked for NBC Cable (MSNBC and CNBC Primetime). Joshua has a BA from Syracuse and a Master's in Clinical and Counseling Psychology from Fairleigh Dickinson University. Mr. Wood is also a licensed counselor and psychotherapist.
- What should I pack when moving to Al Khobar?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Al Khobar?
- Will I be able to find a job in Al Khobar?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do expats in Al Khobar appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Al Khobar?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Al Khobar accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Al Khobar like?
- How are healthcare services in Al Khobar?
- What are medical services in Al Khobar like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Al Khobar?
- What are emergency services like in Al Khobar?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Al Khobar?
- How are local medical facilities in Al Khobar?
- As a foreigner living in Al Khobar, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?