Insider's Guide to Health Care in Puerto Armuelles, Panama
Summary: Health Care in Puerto Armuelles: Locate providers, hospitals, and medical centers to find the best health services available for expats and nomads.
Puerto Armuelles has both public and private healthcare systems. The public healthcare system is called the Caja de Seguro Social (CSS) and is used by both locals and foreigners. People generally recommend using public hospitals in Puerto Armuelles for minor medical emergencies and minor surgeries. The public hospitals in Puerto Armuelles are generally clean and well-equipped, but the wait times can be long and the staff may not speak English. Foreigners (expats and digital nomads) are allowed to use the public healthcare system in Panama, but many expats prefer to use private hospitals for serious medical emergencies and major surgery. Private hospitals in Puerto Armuelles are generally more modern and have shorter wait times, but they can be expensive.
Hospitals and Clinics for Expats in Puerto Armuelles
The most popular hospitals and clinics for expats in Puerto Armuelles are:
- Hospital San Rafael (public hospital) - located in downtown Puerto Armuelles
- Clinica San Rafael (private clinic) - located in downtown Puerto Armuelles
- Clinica San Miguel (private clinic) - located in downtown Puerto Armuelles
- Clinica San Antonio (private clinic) - located in downtown Puerto Armuelles
- Clinica San Jose (private clinic) - located in downtown Puerto Armuelles
- Hospital San Fernando (public hospital) - located in the nearby town of David, approximately 1 hour by car from Puerto Armuelles
Emergency Services in Puerto Armuelles
Puerto Armuelles does have ambulance services. To call for an ambulance, you can dial 911 or contact the local fire department. The ambulance usually arrives quickly, but there can be delays depending on the time of day and the severity of the emergency.
Health Insurance Companies in Puerto Armuelles
The most popular private health insurers in Puerto Armuelles are Blue Cross Blue Shield, Seguros Horizonte, and Assa Compañía de Seguros. Expats and digital nomads typically use these companies, although some may choose to use specialized expat health insurance providers.
Insider Tips from Expats in Puerto Armuelles: Health Care
"Puerto Armuelles offers a variety of medical services for its residents. The city has several private clinics and hospitals that provide general medical care, as well as specialized services such as dentistry, optometry, and gynecology. Additionally, there are several pharmacies in the city that provide prescription medications and over-the-counter drugs. The city also has a few medical laboratories that offer diagnostic testing services. Puerto Armuelles also has a few medical centers that provide emergency care and ambulance services," commented one member living in Puerto Armuelles, Panama.
About the Author
Joshua Wood, LPC joined Expat Exchange in 2000 and serves as one of its Co-Presidents. He is also one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. Prior to Expat Exchange, Joshua worked for NBC Cable (MSNBC and CNBC Primetime). Joshua has a BA from Syracuse and a Master's in Clinical and Counseling Psychology from Fairleigh Dickinson University. Mr. Wood is also a licensed counselor and psychotherapist.
Some of Joshua's articles include Pros and Cons of Living in Portugal, 10 Best Places to Live in Ireland and Pros and Cons of Living in Uruguay. Connect with Joshua on LinkedIn.
- Expat Guide to Puerto Armuelles
- Cost of Living in Puerto Armuelles
- Healthcare & Health Insurance in Panama
- Best Places to Live in Panama
- Real Estate in Panama
- Thanksgiving in Panama
- Pros and Cons of Living in Panama 2023
- 2023 Guide to Moving to Panama
- More Advice about Retiring in Panama
- Members Talk about the Cost of Living in Panama