Moving to Colombia
Last updated on May 09, 2023
Summary: Many expats and digital nomads move to Colombia for its low cost of living, warm climate, and friendly people. The most popular cities for expats and digital nomads in Colombia are Bogotá, Medellín, and Cartagena. People looking for a place to live in Colombia can search online for rental listings, contact real estate agents, or look for postings on expat forums. Additionally, many expats and digital nomads find housing through word of mouth from other expats and digital nomads already living in Colombia.
What do I need to know before moving to Colombia?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Colombia, they said:
"Go for it. Keep your money invested in the USA and take what you need monthly. Rent initially. Great buys for cash. $2000 usa will allow you to live like a king. Body massages $7 for an hour Nails done over one hour $15 dollars Papayas -- $0.40 per pound Mangoes --$0.15 per pound Sirloin steak -- $2 per pound beer -- $0.50 per can Rent - ok place $75/month Rent - nice $150 per month Rent -- very, very nice $250 per month Rent -- Country club type -- swiming pool, everything, view, fantastic- $700-$800," said one expat in Cartago.
How do I find a place to live in Colombia?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What should I pack when moving to Colombia?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Colombia?
- Will I be able to find a job in Colombia?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do expats in Colombia appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Colombia?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Colombia accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Colombia like?
- How are healthcare services in Colombia?
- What are medical services in Colombia like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Colombia?
- What are emergency services like in Colombia?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Colombia?
- How are local medical facilities in Colombia?
- As a foreigner living in Colombia, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?