Moving to Estonia
Last updated on Jun 25, 2023
Summary: Expats and digital nomads move to Estonia for its high quality of life, low cost of living, and excellent digital infrastructure. The most popular cities for expats and digital nomads in Estonia are Tallinn, Tartu, and Pärnu. People looking for a place to live in Estonia can search online for rental listings, contact real estate agents, or look for postings on social media. Additionally, many expats and digital nomads find accommodation through online networks and communities.
What do I need to know before moving to Estonia?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Estonia, they said:
"Estonia is a small country in Northern Europe with a population of 1.3 million people. It is a member of the European Union and the Schengen Area, and has a modern economy with a high standard of living. The official language is Estonian, but English is widely spoken. The currency is the Euro. Estonia has a temperate climate with cold winters and mild summers. Expats should be aware that the cost of living in Estonia is relatively high compared to other countries in the region. Healthcare is of a high standard and is free for EU citizens. Expats should also be aware that the country has a high rate of internet penetration, making it one of the most digitally advanced countries in the world," said one expat in Estonia.
How do I find a place to live in Estonia?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What do I need to know before moving to Estonia?
- How do I find a place to live in Estonia?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Estonia?
- What is the average cost of housing in Estonia?
- Should I buy or rent a home in Estonia?
- What should I pack when moving to Estonia?
- What cultural faux pas should I try to avoid making in Estonia?
- Why do people move to Estonia?
- How are healthcare services Estonia?
- What are medical services in Estonia like?
- What are typical rents in Estonia?
- What appliances are typically included in a rental?