Moving to Norway
Last updated on Mar 14, 2023
Summary: Many expats and digital nomads move to Norway for its high quality of life, stunning natural beauty, and excellent job opportunities. People can find a place to live in Norway by searching online for rental properties, or by using a real estate agent. The most popular cities for expats and digital nomads in Norway are Oslo, Bergen, Trondheim, and Stavanger.
What do I need to know before moving to Norway?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Norway, they said:
"My advice would be to start looking as soon as possible or have someone help you find a place. If you live on the Island it's easy to get around by bus. If you live in Kvolya or Krokken you may need a car, but homes are cheaper to rent. Norwegians speak English so it's easy to get around and communicate. You can buy jackets, shoes, clothes, etc so no need to bring your whole wardrobe or the Arctic clothing you "think" you might need. Tromso is very beautiful and accommodating to expats (except for the Visa and Norwegian # process)," said one expat who made the move to Tromso.
"Extremely pretty, very little work, basic infrastructure, no crime, in my case, the best neighbour in the world, probably. Move here if independently wealthy but it's impossible to predict how you will be "digested" by the Norwegian state until you get here and it's too late. There is a woman who works at the local tax office who is a demon! She has achieved things on her own for me that have defeated the rest of the Norwegian system," explained one expat living in Skei i Jolster, Norway.
How do I find a place to live in Norway?
About the Author
Joshua Wood, LPC joined Expat Exchange in 2000 and serves as one of its Co-Presidents. He is also one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. Prior to Expat Exchange, Joshua worked for NBC Cable (MSNBC and CNBC Primetime). Joshua has a BA from Syracuse and a Master's in Clinical and Counseling Psychology from Fairleigh Dickinson University. Mr. Wood is also a licensed counselor and psychotherapist.
- What should I pack when moving to Norway?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Norway?
- Will I be able to find a job in Norway?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do expats in Norway appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Norway?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Norway accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Norway like?
- How are healthcare services in Norway?
- What are medical services in Norway like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Norway?
- What are emergency services like in Norway?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Norway?
- How are local medical facilities in Norway?
- As a foreigner living in Norway, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?