15 Expats Talk about Health Insurance and Healthcare in New Zealand
Last updated on Apr 06, 2023
Summary: The quality of medical care in New Zealand is generally considered to be on par with the United States. New Zealand has a public health system that provides free or low-cost medical care to all citizens and permanent residents. Emergency services in New Zealand are well-developed and reliable. To call for an ambulance, dial 111 from any phone.
How are healthcare services New Zealand?
When we asked expats and global nomads about the quality of medical care in New Zealand, they replied:
"Healthcare services in New Zealand are provided by both public and private providers. The public healthcare system is funded by the government and is free or low-cost for New Zealand citizens and permanent residents. It includes primary care services such as general practitioners, community health services, and hospital services. The quality of public healthcare in New Zealand is generally high, with a focus on preventative care and access to specialist services. Foreign residents are eligible for publicly funded healthcare in New Zealand, however, they may be required to pay a fee for some services. Expats in New Zealand can use the public healthcare system, however, they may need to pay for some services. Private health insurance is also available for expats in New Zealand, which can provide access to additional services," wrote one expat.
What are medical services in New Zealand like?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What do I need to know before moving to New Zealand?
- How do I find a place to live in New Zealand?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in New Zealand?
- What is the average cost of housing in New Zealand?
- Should I buy or rent a home in New Zealand?
- What should I pack when moving to New Zealand?
- What cultural faux pas should I try to avoid making in New Zealand?
- Why do people move to New Zealand?
- How are healthcare services in New Zealand?
- What are medical services in New Zealand like?
- What are typical rents in New Zealand?
- What appliances are typically included in a rental?