Last updated on Apr 20, 2023
Summary: People describe Izmir, Turkey as a vibrant and modern city with a rich cultural heritage. Expats love the city's Mediterranean climate, its friendly locals, and its vibrant nightlife. The weather in Izmir is typically mild, with average temperatures ranging from the mid-50s to the mid-70s Fahrenheit. The average cost of living for an expat is around $1,000 to $1,500 per month. The cost of a one bedroom apartment is typically around $400 to $600 per month, while a two bedroom apartment can cost anywhere from $500 to $800 per month. The approximate population of Izmir is 4.3 million.
What do I need to know about living in Izmir?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Izmir, they said:
"Before retiring in Izmir, expats should research the cost of living and the availability of healthcare services. It is also important to familiarize oneself with the local culture and customs, as well as the language. Additionally, expats should consider the climate and the type of housing available in the area. It is also important to research the local job market and the availability of recreational activities. Finally, expats should ensure that they have the necessary visas and permits to live and work in Izmir," wrote a member in Izmir.
"If a friend of mine was thinking of moving here I would be delighted! I think it's a great city. I would advise them to learn some Turkish beforehand (it'll make things a little smoother) and not to forget their winter stuff (even though Izmir is on the Aegean and has hot summers it gets cold here in the winter)," commented one expat who made the move to Izmir.
What do I need to know before moving to Izmir?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What do I need to know before moving to Izmir?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Izmir?
- What is the average cost of housing in Izmir?
- How do I meet people in Izmir?
- What do I need to know before retiring in Izmir?
- What should I pack when moving to Izmir?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Izmir?
- Will I be able to find a job in Izmir?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do people like (and dislike) about Izmir?
- What type of social life can someone expect in Izmir?
- What is the social scene like in Izmir?
- What advice to expats in Izmir have about housing?
- What are medical services in Izmir like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Izmir?
- Is the cost of living in Izmir high?
- What are the visa & residency requirements in Izmir?
- Why do people move to Izmir?