Last updated on Apr 21, 2023
Summary: The approximate population of Bologna, Italy is around 380,000 people. People describe Bologna as a vibrant city with a rich cultural heritage, beautiful architecture, and a lively student population. Expats love the city's laid-back atmosphere, its delicious food, and its convenient location in the heart of Italy. The weather in Bologna is generally mild, with temperatures ranging from the mid-30s to the mid-70s Fahrenheit (1-24 Celsius). The average cost of living in Bologna for an expat is around $1,500-$2,000 USD per month. The cost of a one bedroom apartment is around $800-$1,000 USD per month, and a two bedroom apartment is around $1,200-$1,500 USD per month.
What do I need to know about living in Bologna?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Bologna, they said:
"Before retiring in Bologna, expats should be aware of the cost of living, which is higher than in many other parts of Italy. Expats should also research the healthcare system and the availability of medical services in the area. Additionally, expats should familiarize themselves with the local culture and customs, as well as the language, to ensure a smooth transition. Finally, expats should research the local job market and the availability of part-time work, as this may be necessary to supplement their retirement income," wrote a member in Bologna.
"I would tell them to try it out as it offers a bit of everything. The general population are well educated due to the strong university presence and there is a good mix of Italians from all over. Many come to study and then just stay. There is also a lot of cultural activities, many which are either free or low cost," commented one expat who made the move to Bologna.
What do I need to know before moving to Bologna?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What do I need to know before moving to Bologna?
- How do I find a place to live in Bologna?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Bologna?
- What is the average cost of housing in Bologna?
- Should I buy or rent a home in Bologna?
- What should I pack when moving to Bologna?
- What cultural faux pas should I try to avoid making in Bologna?
- What advice do you have for expats having a baby in Bologna?
- What are healthcare services like in Bologna?
- Is the cost of living in Bologna high?
- Will I save money living in Bologna?
- Why do people move to Bologna?
- How are healthcare services Bologna?
- What are medical services in Bologna like?