Last updated on Jun 06, 2023
Summary: The approximate population of Falmouth, Jamaica is around 20,000 people. People describe Falmouth as a vibrant, bustling port town with a rich history and culture. Expats love the laid-back atmosphere, the friendly locals, and the beautiful beaches. The weather in Falmouth is typically warm and humid, with temperatures ranging from the mid-70s to the mid-80s Fahrenheit. The average cost of living for an expat is around $1,500 per month. The cost of a one bedroom apartment is around $500 per month, and a two bedroom apartment is around $700 per month.
What do I need to know about living in Falmouth?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Falmouth, they said:
"Before retiring in Falmouth, expats should research local taxes and make sure to acquire the necessary permits, visas and health insurance. Additionally, it is advisable to take some time to explore the area and get a feel for the local culture, customs, and amenities. Expats should also familiarize themselves with the cost of living and be aware of any possible safety and security concerns. Lastly, having a trusted and reliable local source of information is essential for a smooth transition upon retirement," wrote a member in Falmouth, Jamaica.
What do I need to know before moving to Falmouth?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What should I pack when moving to Falmouth?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Falmouth?
- Will I be able to find a job in Falmouth?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do expats in Falmouth appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Falmouth?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Falmouth accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Falmouth like?
- How are healthcare services in Falmouth?
- What are medical services in Falmouth like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Falmouth?
- What are emergency services like in Falmouth?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Falmouth?
- How are local medical facilities in Falmouth?
- As a foreigner living in Falmouth, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?