Pros and Cons of Living in Jamaica
Last updated on Apr 12, 2023
Summary: The pros of living in Jamaica include its beautiful beaches, vibrant culture, and friendly people. Jamaica is also known for its delicious cuisine, which is a combination of African, Spanish, and British influences. Additionally, Jamaica is a great place to experience a variety of outdoor activities, such as hiking, snorkeling, and swimming. The cons of living in Jamaica include its high crime rate, limited economic opportunities, and inadequate infrastructure. Jamaica is also prone to natural disasters, such as hurricanes and earthquakes, which can cause significant damage to property and infrastructure. Additionally, the cost of living in Jamaica is relatively high, making it difficult for some people to afford basic necessities.
What are the pros and cons of living in Jamaica?
Expats, digital nomads and retirees living in Jamaica responded:
"Life as an expat was expensive in Jamaica but worth living due to local people, music, food, nature. Working was a challenge due to mentality of people. But at the end everything worked out well . It is a matter of trust!!! I would definitely like to go back even to live for some time. I have also lived in the Bahamas for 4 years before Jamaica. Beautiful place but the people are not that nice towards the expats. Also expensive and all services were over estimated," explained one expat in Kingston.
What do expats in Jamaica appreciate most about the local culture?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What do I need to know before moving to Jamaica?
- How do I find a place to live in Jamaica?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Jamaica?
- What is the average cost of housing in Jamaica?
- Should I buy or rent a home in Jamaica?
- What should I pack when moving to Jamaica?
- What cultural faux pas should I try to avoid making in Jamaica?
- Why do people move to Jamaica?
- How are healthcare services in Jamaica?
- What are medical services in Jamaica like?
- What are typical rents in Jamaica?
- What appliances are typically included in a rental?