Last updated on Apr 22, 2023
Summary: People describe Stavanger, Norway as a vibrant city with a stunning natural landscape. Expats love the city's proximity to the sea, its vibrant culture, and its friendly locals. The weather in Stavanger is mild, with temperatures ranging from the mid-30s to the mid-50s Fahrenheit in the summer and the mid-20s to the mid-30s Fahrenheit in the winter. The average cost of living for an expat is estimated to be around $2,500 per month. The cost of a one bedroom apartment is around $1,000 per month, while a two bedroom apartment is around $1,500 per month. The approximate population of Stavanger is around 130,000.
What do I need to know about living in Stavanger?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Stavanger, they said:
"Before retiring in Stavanger, expats should be aware that the cost of living is high, and that the climate is temperate with mild winters and cool summers. It is important to research the local healthcare system and to make sure that you have the necessary insurance coverage. Additionally, it is important to familiarize yourself with the local language, as English is not widely spoken. Finally, it is important to research the local tax laws and regulations to ensure that you are compliant with all applicable laws," remarked one expat who made the move to Stavanger.
What do I need to know before moving to Stavanger?
About the Author
Joshua Wood, LPC joined Expat Exchange in 2000 and serves as one of its Co-Presidents. He is also one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. Prior to Expat Exchange, Joshua worked for NBC Cable (MSNBC and CNBC Primetime). Joshua has a BA from Syracuse and a Master's in Clinical and Counseling Psychology from Fairleigh Dickinson University. Mr. Wood is also a licensed counselor and psychotherapist.
- What do I need to know before moving to Stavanger?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Stavanger?
- What is the average cost of housing in Stavanger?
- How do I meet people in Stavanger?
- What do I need to know before retiring in Stavanger?
- What should I pack when moving to Stavanger?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Stavanger?
- Will I be able to find a job in Stavanger?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do people like (and dislike) about Stavanger?
- What type of social life can someone expect in Stavanger?
- What is the social scene like in Stavanger?
- What advice to expats in Stavanger have about housing?
- What are medical services in Stavanger like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Stavanger?
- Is the cost of living in Stavanger high?
- What are the visa & residency requirements in Stavanger?
- Why do people move to Stavanger?