Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Last updated on Jan 22, 2023
Summary: Luxembourg City, Luxembourg is often described as a vibrant, cosmopolitan city with a unique blend of cultures and languages. Expats love the city's high quality of life, its excellent public transportation system, and its proximity to other European countries. The weather in Luxembourg City is generally mild, with temperatures ranging from the mid-30s to the mid-60s Fahrenheit. The cost of living for an expat in Luxembourg City is generally high, with an average monthly cost of around $3,000 USD. The cost of a one bedroom apartment in Luxembourg City is typically around $1,500 USD per month, while a two bedroom apartment can cost up to $2,500 USD per month. The population of Luxembourg City is approximately 115,000 people.
What do expats in Luxembourg City appreciate most about the local culture?
"We truly appreciate how kind people are here! That really surprised us. For the most part, people are very helpful and considerate. We love that it's a small country and that they take very good care of their people. The medical system is really good. The cost for all public transportation within all of Luxembourg is only 45euros for a monthly pass which to us is very reasonable. Students can purchase an annual, all access pass for a little more. The very first thing we noticed was how quiet it is here, even in the city. It's a very clean and neat country. It's fairly safe here too. We love the diversity of cultures that have merged here," added another person living in Luxembourg City.
What do expats find most challenging?
"The biggest challenge we faced was trying to figure out how to shop and save money! In the beginning, our grocery budget doubled! Everything is VERY expensive here! New friends have helped us find the good and affordable ways to shop by going to Germany, France and Belgium on a regular basis. It's pretty cheap to take the train or bus. We go to Germany several times a month for everything from our washer (delivered and installed), to clothes, food and most recently Christmas gifts. We use Ikea in Beligum as well which is literally just over the border. Our country is so small, that within about 30 minutes in any direction, we can be in another country--so cool! Shopping outside of Luxembourg is the most common and widely shared "secret" to saving money," explained one expat.
What are the schools in Luxembourg City like?
"Starting a new school is scary, but everyone in this school has been new at one time. I was so impressed with how accepting, mature and driven all the kids were. Truly impressive," said another expat in Luxembourg City with children at International School of Luxembourg.
About the Author
Joshua Wood, LPC joined Expat Exchange in 2000 and serves as one of its Co-Presidents. He is also one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. Prior to Expat Exchange, Joshua worked for NBC Cable (MSNBC and CNBC Primetime). Joshua has a BA from Syracuse and a Master's in Clinical and Counseling Psychology from Fairleigh Dickinson University. Mr. Wood is also a licensed counselor and psychotherapist.
- What do I need to know before moving to Luxembourg City?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Luxembourg City?
- What is the average cost of housing in Luxembourg City?
- How do I meet people in Luxembourg City?
- What do I need to know before retiring in Luxembourg City?
- What should I pack when moving to Luxembourg City?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Luxembourg City?
- Will I be able to find a job in Luxembourg City?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do people like (and dislike) about Luxembourg City?
- What type of social life can someone expect in Luxembourg City?
- What is the social scene like in Luxembourg City?
- What advice to expats in Luxembourg City have about housing?
- What are medical services in Luxembourg City like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Luxembourg City?
- Is the cost of living in Luxembourg City high?
- What are the visa & residency requirements in Luxembourg City?
- Why do people move to Luxembourg City?