What do I need to know before retiring in Munich?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Munich, they said...
"Retiring in Munich can be a great opportunity to experience a different culture and explore a vibrant new city. Munich, the capital of the German state of Bavaria, is known for its historic old town, stunning architecture, and plethora of cultural events. Here are a few things to consider before retiring in Munich: -Cost of living: Munich is one of the more expensive cities in Germany, however the cost of living can still be relatively affordable depending on the particular lifestyle and housing needs. -Climate: Munich generally has mild winters, but can experience hot and humid summers. It is also important to consider weather extremes in the winter, such as heavy snowfall and potential flooding in certain areas. -Healthcare: healthcare in Munich is among the best in the world and comprehensive health insurance is required. -Learning German: although most people in Munich are conversant in English, learning some German can significantly improve communication and make integrating into the local society and culture much easier. -Leisure activities and culture: Munich has countless opportunities for leisure activities, cultural experiences and vibrant nightlife. -Housing: Munich's rental market can be competitive and it is important to research rental prices in the areas of interest," remarked another expat who made the move to Munich, Germany.
"Do it! Munich is on the cusp of the Alps. Good ski areas are 1 hr. south of Munich. Lake Garda (for wind surfing, MTB, etc.) is 400 km south of Munich in Italy. Prague is a 4 hr. drive to the east. This is a safe, clean city," explained one expat living in Munich, Germany.
- What do I need to know before retiring in Munich?
- What do I need to know before moving to Munich?
- How do I find a place to live in Munich?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Munich?
- What is the average cost of housing in Munich?
- How do I meet people in Munich?
- What should I pack when moving to Munich?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Munich?
- Will I be able to find a job in Munich?
- What is life like in Munich?
- What do people like (and dislike) about Munich?
- What type of social life can someone expect in Munich?
- What is the social scene like in Munich?
- What advice to expats in Munich have about housing?
- What are medical services in Munich like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Munich?
- Is the cost of living in Munich high?
- What are the visa & residency requirements in Munich?
- Why do people move to Munich?
What do I need to know before retiring in Munich?If you live in Munich, newcomers to Munich would love to hear your answer to this question.