15 Expats Talk about Health Insurance and Healthcare in Germany
Last updated on Mar 10, 2023
Summary: The quality of medical care in Germany is generally considered to be excellent. Germany has a well-developed healthcare system that provides comprehensive coverage for its citizens. The country has a high number of highly trained medical professionals and advanced medical technology. In comparison to the US, Germany has a lower rate of infant mortality and a higher life expectancy. Emergency services in Germany are reliable and efficient. Ambulance services are available 24/7 and can be called by dialing the emergency number 112. Ambulances are typically staffed with a paramedic and a doctor, and are equipped with the latest medical technology.
How are healthcare services Germany?
When we asked expats and global nomads about the quality of medical care in Germany, they replied:
"Germany has a comprehensive healthcare system that provides a wide range of services to its citizens. The public healthcare system is funded by a combination of taxes and social security contributions, and is generally of a high quality. All German citizens and permanent residents are entitled to access the public healthcare system, and foreign residents are also eligible to use it, although they may have to pay a fee. Expats in Germany can use the public healthcare system, but they must first register with a local health insurance provider. Once registered, they can access the same services as German citizens, including preventive care, hospitalization, and specialist care," wrote an expat living in Germany.
What are medical services in Germany like?
About the Author
Joshua Wood, LPC joined Expat Exchange in 2000 and serves as one of its Co-Presidents. He is also one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. Prior to Expat Exchange, Joshua worked for NBC Cable (MSNBC and CNBC Primetime). Joshua has a BA from Syracuse and a Master's in Clinical and Counseling Psychology from Fairleigh Dickinson University. Mr. Wood is also a licensed counselor and psychotherapist.
- What should I pack when moving to Germany?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Germany?
- Will I be able to find a job in Germany?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do expats in Germany appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Germany?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Germany accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Germany like?
- How are healthcare services Germany?
- What are medical services in Germany like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Germany?
- What are emergency services like in Germany?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Germany?
- How are local medical facilities in Germany?
- As a foreigner living in Germany, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?