What do expats find most challenging?
We asked expats and digital nomads what they find the most challenging about the local culture in Romania. They wrote...
"Expats in Romania often find the language barrier to be one of the most challenging aspects of the local culture. Additionally, the cultural norms and expectations can be difficult to navigate, as they are often quite different from those of other countries. Furthermore, the bureaucracy and paperwork associated with living in Romania can be overwhelming for expats who are not used to the system. Finally, the cost of living in Romania can be higher than in other countries, making it difficult for expats to adjust to the local economy," explained one expat living in Romania.
"Romania is seen and I think rightfully so as a "corrupt" country. The fairly new president is trying to change that but he is getting a lot of resistance," said another expat in Oradea, Romania.
Please login to continue reading this article.
Not a member? Join Today (it's free).
- What should I pack when moving to Romania?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Romania?
- Will I be able to find a job in Romania?
- What is life like in Romania?
- What do expats in Romania appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Romania?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Romania accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Romania like?
- What are healthcare services like in Romania?
- What are medical services in Romania like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Romania?
- What are emergency services like in Romania?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Romania?
- How are local medical facilities in Romania?
- As a foreigner living in Romania, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?
What do expats find most challenging?If you live in Romania, newcomers to Romania would love to hear your answer to this question.
About the Author
Joshua Wood, LPC joined Expat Exchange in 2000 and serves as one of its Co-Presidents. He is also one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. Prior to Expat Exchange, Joshua worked for NBC Cable (MSNBC and CNBC Primetime). Joshua has a BA from Syracuse and a Master's in Clinical and Counseling Psychology from Fairleigh Dickinson University. Mr. Wood is also a licensed counselor and psychotherapist.
Some of Joshua's articles include Pros and Cons of Living in Portugal, 10 Best Places to Live in Ireland and Pros and Cons of Living in Uruguay. Connect with Joshua on LinkedIn.