Real Estate in Saudi Arabia
Last updated on Mar 13, 2023
Summary: An expat looking to buy a home in Saudi Arabia should begin by researching the local real estate market. It is important to understand the different types of properties available, the prices, and the locations. Expats should also consider their budget and the type of amenities they are looking for in a home. Foreigners are allowed to own property in Saudi Arabia, but there are certain restrictions. For example, foreigners are not allowed to own land, and they must obtain permission from the Ministry of Interior before purchasing a property. Houses in Saudi Arabia typically include amenities such as air conditioning, satellite TV, and internet access. Some homes may also include a swimming pool, a garden, and a garage.
How do I find a place to live in Saudi Arabia?
We asked expats how they chose their neighborhood and found a place to live. They answered:
"We found a larger private villa after being in a small compound. It cost the same and now we have our own pool without the harrassment of kids. (Parents allow them to run wild here, with or without supervision to all hours of the night.)," remarked one foreigner who made the move to Riyadh.
"We were provided with housing, but if you're not, do a lot of research!!! Talk to ex-expats, search message boards, etc etc. But make sure you'll have this all arranged before you leave. The housing / compounds in Kingdom vary extremely from shacks to luxurious villas," explained one person living in Khamis Mushayt, Saudi Arabia.
What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Saudi Arabia?
About the Author
Joshua Wood, LPC joined Expat Exchange in 2000 and serves as one of its Co-Presidents. He is also one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. Prior to Expat Exchange, Joshua worked for NBC Cable (MSNBC and CNBC Primetime). Joshua has a BA from Syracuse and a Master's in Clinical and Counseling Psychology from Fairleigh Dickinson University. Mr. Wood is also a licensed counselor and psychotherapist.
- What should I pack when moving to Saudi Arabia?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Saudi Arabia?
- Will I be able to find a job in Saudi Arabia?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do expats in Saudi Arabia appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Saudi Arabia?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Saudi Arabia accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Saudi Arabia like?
- How are healthcare services in Saudi Arabia?
- What are medical services in Saudi Arabia like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Saudi Arabia?
- What are emergency services like in Saudi Arabia?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Saudi Arabia?
- How are local medical facilities in Saudi Arabia?
- As a foreigner living in Saudi Arabia, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?