Palma de Mallorca, Spain
Last updated on Jul 02, 2023
Summary: Expats, digital nomads and retirees discuss what it is like to live in Palma de Mallorca, Spain: Cost of living, Finding a home, Meeting People and more.
What do I need to know about living in Palma de Mallorca?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Palma de Mallorca, they said:
"Before retiring in Palma de Mallorca, expats should know that they will need a visa if they are not EU citizens. They should also be aware that the cost of living can be high, especially in the more touristy areas. The official language is Spanish, but English is widely spoken in tourist areas. Healthcare in Spain is of a high standard, but expats should ensure they have adequate health insurance. The climate in Palma de Mallorca is Mediterranean, with hot summers and mild winters. Expats should also be aware that Spain has a double taxation agreement with many countries, so they may not have to pay tax in their home country on income earned in Spain. The property market in Palma de Mallorca is competitive, with high demand for properties in the city center and near the beach. Spain has a slower pace of life compared to many other countries, and this is reflected in the opening hours of shops and businesses. Finally, expats should know that the culture in Spain is very social, with a strong emphasis on family and community," said one expat who made the move to Palma de Mallorca.
What do I need to know before moving to Palma de Mallorca?
About the Author
Joshua Wood, LPC joined Expat Exchange in 2000 and serves as one of its Co-Presidents. He is also one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. Prior to Expat Exchange, Joshua worked for NBC Cable (MSNBC and CNBC Primetime). Joshua has a BA from Syracuse and a Master's in Clinical and Counseling Psychology from Fairleigh Dickinson University. Mr. Wood is also a licensed counselor and psychotherapist.
- What do I need to know before moving to Palma de Mallorca?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Palma de Mallorca?
- What is the average cost of housing in Palma de Mallorca?
- How do I meet people in Palma de Mallorca?
- What do I need to know before retiring in Palma de Mallorca?
- What should I pack when moving to Palma de Mallorca?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Palma de Mallorca?
- Will I be able to find a job in Palma de Mallorca?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do people like (and dislike) about Palma de Mallorca?
- What type of social life can someone expect in Palma de Mallorca?
- What is the social scene like in Palma de Mallorca?
- What advice to expats in Palma de Mallorca have about housing?
- What are medical services in Palma de Mallorca like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Palma de Mallorca?
- Is the cost of living in Palma de Mallorca high?
- What are the visa & residency requirements in Palma de Mallorca?
- Why do people move to Palma de Mallorca?