Last updated on Apr 13, 2023
Summary: People describe Cork, Ireland as a vibrant, friendly city with a unique culture and a great sense of community. Expats love the city's laid-back atmosphere, its beautiful scenery, and its lively nightlife. The weather in Cork is mild, with temperatures ranging from the mid-30s to the mid-60s Fahrenheit (1-18 Celsius). The average cost of living for an expat is around $2,000 per month. The cost of a one bedroom apartment is around $1,000 per month, while a two bedroom apartment is around $1,400 per month. The approximate population of Cork is around 125,000 people.
What do I need to know about living in Cork?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Cork, they said:
"Before retiring in Cork, expats should familiarize themselves with the local culture and customs. They should also research the cost of living in the area, as well as the availability of healthcare and other services. Additionally, expats should look into the local job market and the availability of housing. It is also important to research the local tax laws and regulations, as well as the visa and residency requirements. Finally, expats should make sure to take advantage of the many cultural and recreational activities available in Cork," said one expat in Cork.
What do I need to know before moving to Cork?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What do I need to know before moving to Cork?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Cork?
- What is the average cost of housing in Cork?
- How do I meet people in Cork?
- What do I need to know before retiring in Cork?
- What should I pack when moving to Cork?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Cork?
- Will I be able to find a job in Cork?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do people like (and dislike) about Cork?
- What type of social life can someone expect in Cork?
- What is the social scene like in Cork?
- What advice to expats in Cork have about housing?
- What are medical services in Cork like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Cork?
- Is the cost of living in Cork high?
- What are the visa & residency requirements in Cork?
- Why do people move to Cork?