Last updated on Apr 22, 2023
Summary: Negril, Jamaica is often described as a paradise, with its stunning white sand beaches, crystal clear waters, and lush tropical vegetation. Expats love the laid-back atmosphere, friendly locals, and the abundance of outdoor activities. The weather in Negril is typically warm and sunny, with temperatures ranging from the mid-70s to the mid-80s Fahrenheit. The average cost of living for an expat is around $1,500 to $2,000 per month. The cost of a one bedroom apartment is typically around $500 to $700 per month, while a two bedroom apartment can range from $700 to $1,000 per month. The approximate population of Negril is around 25,000 people.
What do I need to know about living in Negril?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Negril, they said:
"Before retiring in Negril, expats should be aware of the cost of living, which is higher than in other parts of the country. Additionally, expats should research the availability of healthcare services and the quality of the local infrastructure. It is also important to be aware of the local culture and customs, as well as the local laws and regulations. Finally, expats should research the availability of activities and amenities in the area, such as restaurants, shopping, and entertainment," said one expat who made the move to Negril.
What do I need to know before moving to Negril?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What do I need to know before moving to Negril?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Negril?
- What is the average cost of housing in Negril?
- How do I meet people in Negril?
- What do I need to know before retiring in Negril?
- What should I pack when moving to Negril?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Negril?
- Will I be able to find a job in Negril?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do people like (and dislike) about Negril?
- What type of social life can someone expect in Negril?
- What is the social scene like in Negril?
- What advice to expats in Negril have about housing?
- What are medical services in Negril like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Negril?
- Is the cost of living in Negril high?
- What are the visa & residency requirements in Negril?
- Why do people move to Negril?