Last updated on Jun 10, 2023
Summary: The approximate population of Suwon, Korea is 1.2 million people. People describe Suwon as a vibrant city with a rich cultural heritage and a modern, cosmopolitan atmosphere. Expats love the convenient transportation, the friendly locals, and the abundance of shopping and dining options. The weather in Suwon is generally mild, with temperatures ranging from an average low of -2°F in January to an average high of 86°F in August. The average cost of living in Suwon for an expat is around $1,500 per month. The cost of a one bedroom apartment is around $600 per month, and a two bedroom apartment is around $800 per month.
What do I need to know about living in Suwon?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Suwon, they said:
"Before retiring in Suwon, expats should be aware of the cost of living, which is generally lower than in other major cities in Korea. They should also be aware of the language barrier, as English is not widely spoken in the city. Additionally, expats should research the healthcare system in Suwon, as well as the availability of international schools for any children they may have. Finally, expats should familiarize themselves with the local culture and customs, as well as the climate, to ensure a smooth transition into their new home," wrote a member in Suwon.
What do I need to know before moving to Suwon?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What do I need to know before moving to Suwon?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Suwon?
- What is the average cost of housing in Suwon?
- How do I meet people in Suwon?
- What do I need to know before retiring in Suwon?
- What should I pack when moving to Suwon?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Suwon?
- Will I be able to find a job in Suwon?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do people like (and dislike) about Suwon?
- What type of social life can someone expect in Suwon?
- What is the social scene like in Suwon?
- What advice to expats in Suwon have about housing?
- What are medical services in Suwon like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Suwon?
- Is the cost of living in Suwon high?
- What are the visa & residency requirements in Suwon?
- Why do people move to Suwon?