Expats Talk about Health Insurance and Healthcare in Guatemala City, Guatemala
Last updated on Sep 17, 2022
Summary: Expats and global nomads in Guatemala City, Guatemala share their experiences with health insurance, healthcare in Guatemala, local hospitals and specialists, quality of medical care and more.
How are healthcare services Guatemala City?
When we asked expats and global nomads about the quality of medical care in Guatemala City, they replied:
"Make sure to look for the best doctors, get a private Guatemalan insurance to take you the best hospitals.. forget about public hospital unless it is for emergency," mentioned another expat living in Guatemala City.
What are emergency services like in Guatemala City?
When we asked about emergency services, members in Guatemala City wrote:
"My closest hospital is 20 minutes drive but it is a public one and wouldn't go there unless to get stabilize before heading to Guatemala City a 2 1/2 drive.. to a private hospital .. Excellent care," added another expat.
Are common prescription medications available in Guatemala City?
"Most of every thing available. Lots of things you need prescription in the first world you can get them here over the counter. But medicines are expensive here," remarked another expat living in Guatemala City.
About the Author
Joshua Wood, LPC joined Expat Exchange in 2000 and serves as one of its Co-Presidents. He is also one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. Prior to Expat Exchange, Joshua worked for NBC Cable (MSNBC and CNBC Primetime). Joshua has a BA from Syracuse and a Master's in Clinical and Counseling Psychology from Fairleigh Dickinson University. Mr. Wood is also a licensed counselor and psychotherapist.
- What should I pack when moving to Guatemala City?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Guatemala City?
- Will I be able to find a job in Guatemala City?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do expats in Guatemala City appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Guatemala City?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Guatemala City accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Guatemala City like?
- How are healthcare services Guatemala City?
- What are medical services in Guatemala City like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Guatemala City?
- What are emergency services like in Guatemala City?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Guatemala City?
- How are local medical facilities in Guatemala City?
- As a foreigner living in Guatemala City, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?