Living in Israel
Last updated on Jun 24, 2023
Summary: People often describe life in Israel as vibrant, diverse, and exciting. Expats love the country's rich culture, history, and natural beauty. They also appreciate the strong sense of community and the opportunity to experience a unique way of life. The average cost of living for an expat is around $2,000 per month. This includes rent, food, transportation, and other basic expenses. The population of Israel is approximately 8.7 million people. The largest cities in Israel are Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, Haifa, and Rishon LeZion. The cons of living in Israel include the high cost of living, the security situation, and the language barrier. Additionally, the country is quite small, so there are limited job opportunities and limited entertainment options.
What do I need to know about living in Israel?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Israel, they said:
"Get used to very poor shopping opportunities, rude people and places closing on Sabath," commented one expat who made the move to Jerusalem.
How do I meet people in Israel?
About the Author
Joshua Wood, LPC joined Expat Exchange in 2000 and serves as one of its Co-Presidents. He is also one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. Prior to Expat Exchange, Joshua worked for NBC Cable (MSNBC and CNBC Primetime). Joshua has a BA from Syracuse and a Master's in Clinical and Counseling Psychology from Fairleigh Dickinson University. Mr. Wood is also a licensed counselor and psychotherapist.
- What should I pack when moving to Israel?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Israel?
- Will I be able to find a job in Israel?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do expats in Israel appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Israel?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Israel accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Israel like?
- How are healthcare services in Israel?
- What are medical services in Israel like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Israel?
- What are emergency services like in Israel?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Israel?
- How are local medical facilities in Israel?
- As a foreigner living in Israel, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?