What do expats find most challenging?
We asked expats and digital nomads what they find the most challenging about the local culture in Heidelberg. They wrote...
"One of the most challenging aspects of the local culture for expats in Heidelberg is the language barrier. Although many people in the city speak English, it can be difficult to communicate with locals who do not. Additionally, the German bureaucracy can be difficult to navigate for those who are not familiar with the system. Furthermore, the cultural norms and expectations can be difficult to understand for those who are not used to them. Finally, the cost of living in Heidelberg can be high, making it difficult for expats to adjust to the local lifestyle," commented one expat who made the move to Heidelberg, Germany.
"Language, language, language. You figure that out and everything else falls into place by itself. Get the language and you'll get everything else," remarked another expat in Heidelberg, Germany.
- What should I pack when moving to Heidelberg?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Heidelberg?
- Will I be able to find a job in Heidelberg?
- What is life like in Heidelberg?
- What do expats in Heidelberg appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Heidelberg?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Heidelberg accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Heidelberg like?
- What are healthcare services like in Heidelberg?
- What are medical services in Heidelberg like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Heidelberg?
- What are emergency services like in Heidelberg?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Heidelberg?
- How are local medical facilities in Heidelberg?
- As a foreigner living in Heidelberg, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?
What do expats find most challenging?If you live in Heidelberg, newcomers to Heidelberg would love to hear your answer to this question.