What is life like as an expat in your area?
When we asked people living abroad what life is like in their areas and how people spend their time, they said...
"Life for expats and digital nomads in the Dominican Republic is generally quite pleasant. The country is known for its warm climate, beautiful beaches, and friendly people. Expats and digital nomads can find a variety of activities to enjoy, from exploring the country's colonial cities to taking part in outdoor activities such as hiking, snorkeling, and diving. The cost of living is relatively low, making it an attractive destination for those looking to stretch their budget. The country also offers a wide range of accommodation options, from luxury resorts to budget-friendly apartments. Expats and digital nomads can also benefit from the country's strong internet infrastructure, making it easy to stay connected while living in the Dominican Republic," said a member in Dominican Rep.
"The culture revolves around home and community, it is one of the things I love about this country. It can make living here and getting things done a challenge. Embrace it as much as you can and learn to go with the flow when needed, and learn when to put your foot down!!," remarked another expat who made the move to Santo Domingo, Dominican Rep.
- What should I pack when moving to the Dominican Republic?
- Where should I setup a bank account in the Dominican Republic?
- Will I be able to find a job in the Dominican Republic?
- What is life like in the Dominican Republic?
- What do expats in the Dominican Republic appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in the Dominican Republic?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in the Dominican Republic accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in the Dominican Republic like?
- What are healthcare services like in the Dominican Republic?
- What are medical services in the Dominican Republic like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in the Dominican Republic?
- What are emergency services like in the Dominican Republic?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in the Dominican Republic?
- How are local medical facilities in the Dominican Republic?
- As a foreigner living in the Dominican Republic, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?
What is life like as an expat in your area?If you live in the Dominican Republic, newcomers to the Dominican Republic would love to hear your answer to this question.
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.