Living in Hungary
Last updated on Apr 06, 2023
Summary: The approximate population of Hungary is 9.7 million people. The largest cities in Hungary are Budapest (1.7 million people), Debrecen (204,000 people), Miskolc (172,000 people), Szeged (163,000 people), and Pécs (161,000 people). Expats love living in Hungary for its rich culture, beautiful architecture, and vibrant nightlife. People describe life in Hungary as relaxed and laid-back, with a strong sense of community. Popular foods in Hungary include goulash, paprikash, and langos. The cons of living in Hungary include the language barrier, the lack of job opportunities, and the high cost of living. The average cost of living for an expat is around $1,500 to $2,000 per month. This includes rent, utilities, food, transportation, and entertainment.
What do I need to know about living in Hungary?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Hungary, they said:
"Stay clear of the public health system (there are good private alternatives). Stay clear of the police. Do not drink and drive. Enjoy the marvelous weather and the fresh produce," wrote a member in Budapest.
"Come with an open mind, there are problems of varying sorts throughout the world. Life is what you make of it, what you demand. We personally find it healthy and quite, much the opposite from where we came from.," commented one expat who made the move to Tarnazsadany.
How do I meet people in Hungary?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What should I pack when moving to Hungary?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Hungary?
- Will I be able to find a job in Hungary?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do expats in Hungary appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Hungary?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Hungary accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Hungary like?
- How are healthcare services in Hungary?
- What are medical services in Hungary like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Hungary?
- What are emergency services like in Hungary?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Hungary?
- How are local medical facilities in Hungary?
- As a foreigner living in Hungary, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?