Last updated on Apr 22, 2023
Summary: People often describe Montreal, Canada as a vibrant, multicultural city with a unique blend of French and English cultures. Expats love the city's diverse cultural offerings, its vibrant nightlife, and its beautiful parks and outdoor spaces. The weather in Montreal is generally mild, with temperatures ranging from an average low of -2°F in January to an average high of 79°F in July. The average cost of living for an expat is estimated to be around $2,000 USD per month. The cost of a one bedroom apartment in Montreal is around $1,000 USD per month, while a two bedroom apartment can cost around $1,500 USD per month. The approximate population of Montreal is 1.7 million people.
What do I need to know about living in Montreal?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Montreal, they said:
"Before retiring in Montreal, expats should familiarize themselves with the local language, French. It is also important to research the cost of living in Montreal, as well as the availability of healthcare and other services. Additionally, expats should consider the climate and the type of housing they would like to live in. It is also important to research the local job market and the types of activities available in the city. Finally, expats should consider the cultural differences between their home country and Canada, and how they will adjust to the new environment," commented one expat who made the move to Montreal.
What do I need to know before moving to Montreal?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What should I pack when moving to Montreal?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Montreal?
- Will I be able to find a job in Montreal?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do expats in Montreal appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Montreal?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Montreal accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Montreal like?
- How are healthcare services Montreal?
- What are medical services in Montreal like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Montreal?
- What are emergency services like in Montreal?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Montreal?
- How are local medical facilities in Montreal?
- As a foreigner living in Montreal, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?