What should I pack when moving to India?
We asked people living in India to list three things they wish they had brought and three they wish they had left behind. They responded...
"Clothing that is appropriate for the climate, lightweight layers, a good pair of walking shoes, passport and visa documentation, medications, toiletries, basic kitchen items, blankets, towels, a mosquito net, a laptop and other electronic items, books and a few luxury items for comfort, an address book for keeping in contact with family and friends," commented one expat who made the move to India.
"I wish I brought my vacuum cleaner as Mumbai is terribly dusty. Otherwise, I've been able to buy anything else I need. I wish I left all my oven cookware behind as ovens don't come with flats. It is an appliance I'm not willing to buy," remarked another expat in Mumbai, India.
- What do I need to know before moving to India?
- How do I find a place to live in India?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in India?
- What is the average cost of housing in India?
- Should I buy or rent a home in India?
- What should I pack when moving to India?
- What cultural faux pas should I try to avoid making in India?
- Why do people move to India?
- What are healthcare services like in India?
- What are medical services in India like?
- What are typical rents in India?
- What appliances are typically included in a rental?
What should I pack when moving to India?If you live in India, newcomers to India would love to hear your answer to this question.
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.