San Pedro, Belize
Last updated on Jul 16, 2023
Summary: Expats, digital nomads and retirees talk about what it is really like living in San Pedro, Belize. They offer advice about meeting people, cost of living, finding a home and more.
What do I need to know about living in San Pedro?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to San Pedro, they said:
"Before retiring in San Pedro, expats should know that the official language is English, which can make the transition easier. The cost of living can be higher than in other parts of Belize, especially for housing, as San Pedro is a popular tourist destination. Healthcare facilities are limited on the island, with more serious conditions often requiring travel to Belize City or even outside the country. Expats should also be aware that while the weather is typically warm and tropical, hurricanes and tropical storms can occur. The pace of life in San Pedro is slower than in many Western countries, which some retirees may find relaxing, but others may find frustrating. It's also important to know that while Belize does have a program to encourage retirement in the country, there are specific financial requirements to meet. Expats should also be aware that while crime rates are generally low, petty crime can be an issue, and it's important to take standard safety precautions. Finally, potential retirees should visit San Pedro multiple times before making a decision, to ensure that they enjoy the lifestyle and are comfortable with the amenities available," remarked one expat living in San Pedro, Belize.
What do I need to know before moving to San Pedro?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What do I need to know before moving to San Pedro?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in San Pedro?
- What is the average cost of housing in San Pedro?
- How do I meet people in San Pedro?
- What do I need to know before retiring in San Pedro?
- What should I pack when moving to San Pedro?
- Where should I setup a bank account in San Pedro?
- Will I be able to find a job in San Pedro?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do people like (and dislike) about San Pedro?
- What type of social life can someone expect in San Pedro?
- What is the social scene like in San Pedro?
- What advice to expats in San Pedro have about housing?
- What are medical services in San Pedro like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in San Pedro?
- Is the cost of living in San Pedro high?
- What are the visa & residency requirements in San Pedro?
- Why do people move to San Pedro?