Vila Nova de Milfontes, Portugal
Last updated on Jul 02, 2023
Summary: Expats, digital nomads and retirees talk about what it is really like living in Vila Nova de Milfontes, Portugal. They offer advice about meeting people, cost of living, finding a home and more.
What do I need to know about living in Vila Nova de Milfontes?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Vila Nova de Milfontes, they said:
"Vila Nova de Milfontes is a small coastal town in the Alentejo region of Portugal, known for its beautiful beaches and relaxed lifestyle. Before retiring there, expats should consider several factors. Firstly, the cost of living in Vila Nova de Milfontes is relatively low compared to other European destinations, but it's still important to have a clear understanding of your financial situation and budget. The official language is Portuguese, so learning the language will be beneficial, although English is widely spoken in tourist areas. The healthcare system in Portugal is of a high standard, but it's advisable to have comprehensive health insurance. Expats from EU countries may be eligible for state healthcare. The climate in Vila Nova de Milfontes is Mediterranean, with hot summers and mild winters. It's important to consider how well you adapt to different climates. The town is small and peaceful, which is perfect for those looking for a quiet retirement. However, if you prefer a bustling social scene or lots of cultural activities, it may not be the right fit for you. Portugal has a residency program known as the Golden Visa, which allows non-EU citizens to gain residency by investing in the country. This could be a good option if you're planning to retire in Vila Nova de Milfontes. Portugal has a double taxation treaty with many countries, meaning you won't be taxed twice on the same income. However, it's important to understand the tax implications of retiring abroad. Finally, it's worth noting that while Vila Nova de Milfontes is a safe town, it's always important to take standard precautions to protect your personal safety and belongings," explained one expat living in Vila Nova de Milfontes, Portugal.
What do I need to know before moving to Vila Nova de Milfontes?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What do I need to know before moving to Vila Nova de Milfontes?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Vila Nova de Milfontes?
- What is the average cost of housing in Vila Nova de Milfontes?
- How do I meet people in Vila Nova de Milfontes?
- What do I need to know before retiring in Vila Nova de Milfontes?
- What should I pack when moving to Vila Nova de Milfontes?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Vila Nova de Milfontes?
- Will I be able to find a job in Vila Nova de Milfontes?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do people like (and dislike) about Vila Nova de Milfontes?
- What type of social life can someone expect in Vila Nova de Milfontes?
- What is the social scene like in Vila Nova de Milfontes?
- What advice to expats in Vila Nova de Milfontes have about housing?
- What are medical services in Vila Nova de Milfontes like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Vila Nova de Milfontes?
- Is the cost of living in Vila Nova de Milfontes high?
- What are the visa & residency requirements in Vila Nova de Milfontes?
- Why do people move to Vila Nova de Milfontes?