What do I need to know before moving to Quito?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Quito, they said...
"Before moving to Quito, expats should be aware of the city's high elevation – reaching up to 2850 meters (9352 feet) above sea level – which may cause certain medical complications. They should also research the cost of living in Quito, as prices may differ from those of their home country significantly. Expats should furthermore familiarize themselves with the local language and culture, as English is not widely spoken in the city and Ecuadorian culture is distinct from other Latin American countries. Additionally, expats should make sure to have the most up-to-date vaccinations and get acquainted with the city's public transportation system. Finally, expats are highly recommended to get travel and health insurance before settling in Quito," explained one expat living in Quito, Ecuador, Ecuador.
William Russell's private medical insurance will cover you and your family wherever you may be. Whether you need primary care or complex surgery, you'll have access to the best hospitals & doctors available. Unlike some insurers, we also include medical evacuation and mental health cover in our plans (except SilverLite). Get a quote from our partner, William Russell.
GET A QUOTE
"THis process esp with minimal Spanish is NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART, trust me. I have struggled at times and have lived before out of the United States in South America. Visit, do your homework, trust that you will be taken advantage of (as I have several times with trusted Ecuadorians) and you REALLY have to WANT TO MOVE HERE sometimes to simply stay here. I am overall happy with my move/immigration to Ecuador but it is tough and challenging esp as a soltera at times, very tough," said another expat in Quito, Ecuador.
Please login to continue reading this article.
Not a member? Join Today (it's free).
- What do I need to know before retiring in Quito?
- What do I need to know before moving to Quito?
- How do I find a place to live in Quito?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Quito?
- What is the average cost of housing in Quito?
- How do I meet people in Quito?
- What should I pack when moving to Quito?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Quito?
- Will I be able to find a job in Quito?
- What is life like in Quito?
- What do people like (and dislike) about Quito?
- What type of social life can someone expect in Quito?
- What is the social scene like in Quito?
- What advice to expats in Quito have about housing?
- What are medical services in Quito like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Quito?
- Is the cost of living in Quito high?
- What are the visa & residency requirements in Quito?
- Why do people move to Quito?
What do I need to know before moving to Quito?If you live in Quito, newcomers to Quito would love to hear your answer to this question.